Monday, April 17, 2006

Its not about the Bike...

The book is the biography of Lance Armstrong. A must read book indeed.I will try to capture the essence of the book in a paragraph.

Initially it starts off with Lance's childhood years.It was painful indeed for him as his father left his mother after his birth. He never met his biological father! Throughout his childhood his mother had to put lot of fight to make ends meet. Then he showed great enthusiasm for triathlon at around his teen years and starting winning a lot of tournaments. This supplemented the earnings of his mother as well. He became well known among cyclists in US and won some major tournaments then came the shocking news that he had cancer and he had very little chance of survival. The part after cancer life has astounded as he had to build his reputation back as a world class cyclist again which is very tough indeed. The 2 years he spent before winning tour de france was very painful indeed. The struggle he had gone through is mind blowing.I would like to qoute a paragraph from the poem 'If' by rudyard Kipling which is describes the previous lines previous lines perfectly:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";




I bought a livestrong band to remind me just about this.Whenever, I am in a place where I know that i am gonna get psyched I'll wear this. Today I tried it out during my presentation and it was the best presentation I had ever given.





I want to read the biography of Sachin Tendulkar(obviously whenever he finishes writing one).It would be a good read if he mentions how he takes the expectations of the whole nation whenever he goes out to bat.

Feel free to comment!

10 comments:

Intrepid traveller's dairy said...

Seems like you believe in lucky charms...by the way...I would never grumble about the weather or the crowd in Chennai :-P...rains in chennai???you should be happy...the weather over here has improved too...it is more or less like blore now...with rains and temperature of 14 degrees...

R said...

i did read the book and i found it awesome too. to come back in win the tour de france is jus tooooo much. also i bought the band too :)

Btw do i get a treat for commenting? :)

Anonymous said...

hmm.. tour de lance :)

so, you say the band's really worked? glad... should i try that?? :D

Marvin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marvin said...

Basically whenever I wear the arm band I remind myself of what lance had gone through.So didn't get psyched and all for the first time i used it.I surely don't consider it as a lucky charm.I hope it works every time!

@STD I owe you a treat anyway :P

Intrepid traveller's dairy said...

hey raghu...even I was about to ask you if I could add you to my link...from one of your posts I came to know that you hate to be tagged...so shall I add you??

Intrepid traveller's dairy said...

Thanks :-)!!!

R said...

so when do u plan to treat??? dont tell me in US n all....will screw u only....oh wait...will have u screwed by Sass :D

NightWatchmen said...

You dont know what psyched is man because of 2 things

You are not an electrical engineer.

Secondly you have never faced a grand viva, I dont think there are any more terrifying instances in a BTechs life than being asked about some vague U and V pipes in the Pentium processor and how does the processor decide when to allocate 2 sequential processes to them....

And I think that band thing is like Steve Waughs red han'kerchief Steve Waugh would still be Steve Waugh without it as well so remember that always!!!!

Intrepid traveller's dairy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.